Job Title: Associate Director of Development
Division: University Advancement
Reports To: Associate Vice President for University Advancement
Salary: To be determined
Hours / Months: 40 Hours / 12 Months
Revision Update: June 2017
SUMMARY: The Associate Director of Development is responsible for developing and maintaining a portfolio of donors and donor prospects. This position's focus will be to develop a strong donor base for the College of Arts and Sciences and the School of Behavioral Sciences. The position will focus primarily on the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major gifts from individuals and companies; as well as fulfilling specific assignments as requested.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for meeting annual fundraising goals.
- Consults with Associate Vice President for University Advancement in setting goals/metrics, and implementing donor cultivation and solicitation strategies for assigned portfolio.
- Maintains his/her own donor portfolio (discovery, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship).
- Builds relationships with donors and donor prospects through regular face-to-face visits, calls, emails, and mailings.
- Submits and maintains regular contact and activity reports on all donor-related activities.
- Effectively collaborates with deans and other appropriate administrators to develop strategies for the successful completion of specific fundraising initiatives.
- Plans, implements and manages major gift solicitations ($10,000 and above) for donors and donor prospects within assigned portfolio.
- Introduces gift planning vehicles, when appropriate, to successfully maintain a donor-centric approach to philanthropy.
- Develops gift proposals for individuals and corporations.
- Maintains a winsome and professional relationship with the community and organizations that have an interest in or provide support to California Baptist University.
- Attends and/or represents the University at community events, alumni/parent events, athletic events, and other special events in assigned areas and on campus.
- Pursues professional development opportunities regarding fundraising techniques and donor relations by attending conferences, reading books, and subscribing to applicable publications.
- Maintains oversight of college/school-specific development budget.
- Willingness to travel regionally and nationally as required.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This position could be responsible for assigning work and/or giving direction to part-time Student Workers, in order to complete office work assignments.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Ability to articulate an understanding of and have a passion for Christian higher education.
- Knowledge of fundraising systems and campaigns.
- Financial acumen and the ability to understand financial, business, and legal concepts.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Knowledge, understanding, and balanced appreciation of all aspects of fundraising.
- Ability to participate in maintaining a positive and winsome work environment that promotes advancing University Advancement, and serve as an advocate for UA within the entire CBU community.
- Internal motivation to accomplish objectives and tasks (a self-starter).
- Ability to work independently of daily supervision.
- Ability to work flexible hours including mornings or evenings, and occasional weekends.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
- Ability to plan, develop, and coordinate multiple projects at a time.
- Ability to use independent judgment, manage and impart confidential information and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, student body and the community.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (extremely high people skills, winsome)
- Ability to relate well to a wide variety of personalities, ages, and careers.
- Demonstrated professionalism, persistence, initiative, and tact in building and maintaining relationships.
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
- Ability to maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
- Ability to ask and close major and planned gifts.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university; one to three years of related experience and/or training; and demonstrated effectiveness in fundraising, prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors, or an area that demonstrated a high level of interpersonal and communication skills.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; and requires sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate computer keyboard, typewriter or other office equipment. Requires visual acuity to read words and numbers and speaking and hearing ability sufficient to communicate in person or over the phone. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Work normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, with minimal exposure to health or safety hazards.
CBU EMPLOYMENT STATEMENT: Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. All terms and conditions of CBU’s at-will employment, duties, and responsibilities are subject to California Baptist University's Employee Handbook.
Apply HERE: https://jobs.calbaptist.edu/